Object of the Game - Disc Golf:
To have fun!
To finish the course with the lowest score. (least amount of throws per round)
Order of Play:
1. On the first hole, first drive, the order of play is determined by a coin toss.
2. All other throws are made by the player furthest from the basket. The same player may end up throwing several times.
3. On all other holes, the driving order is determined by the score on the previous hole. The player with the lowest score on the previous hole goes first. If there is a tie, then players throw in the order of the previous hole.
Scoring: (The same as ball golf)
1. Record the score for each player on the scorecard.
2. A player's score is the total of throws made for each hole plus any penalties.
3. This is a par 3 course (par 27 for 9 holes). So, if your total number of shots plus penalties is 30, you score a +3 (or 3 over par.) If your total is 25, you score a -2 (or 2 under par).
Each of the following situations results in a one stroke penalty. (Add one throw to the player's score for that hole.)
1. The disc goes out of bounds. (Mark the disc 3 feet in from the last point it was in bounds).
2. Falling putt. (See item 3 in "The Putt" section below.)
3. Unplayable lie. The disc is somewhere unsafe or unplayable. (Mark the disc at a spot at most 3 meters from your original lie and no closer to the basket.)
1. Player one makes a throw from the designated tee pad.
2. Remaining players throw in the order decided.
The Approach: (Any throw more than 30 feet away from basket)
1. The player furthest from the basket throws first and so on. This is an important and often overlooked safety rule. Beginners tend to just throw whenever. Wait your turn.
2. Player marks the position of their disc or lie of the disc. (Tournament play requires using a mini-disc to mark. Flipping your disc over is fine for casual play.)
3. The player must release the disc before passing over the mark. You can be up to twelve inches behind your lie, but you are not supposed to step over it until you release your throw.
The Putt: (Any throw within 30 feet from the basket)
1. The player furthest from the basket throws first unless agreed upon by all players.
2. Mark the position of your disc.
3. The player must not step onto or over their marker when putting. You have to demonstrate balance before stepping forward to retrieve your disc. Otherwise your putt is a falling putt and you are given a one stroke penalty.